Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The end of Hindi class...

...or Giving up?

I bunked Hindi class today.. for the second time. Actually it would be the third time if our teacher had not been ill that one time when I also very much didn't feel like going. I'm not enjoying it anymore (just the class, not Hindi as such), reading silly tales doesn't make me progress in the least and the teacher's method is everything but refreshing.


Gee, am I frustrating my own students just as much? If so, I could understand that they started running away. For now, they don't. Does that mean I do a better job? Are they just bored? Do they have a higher frustration tolerance? I don't know .. but I do know that I myself reached a deadlock and I think I need help to get out of it.

So please, Hindi speakers, help! Return the joy of learning and understanding your fascinating, puzzling language to me!!

8 comments:

talldarkman said...

You should have a feedback form, which lists all those questions, and ask your students to tick answers and invite suggestions (with guarantee of "no reprisals").

You should convey your feelings to your hindi teacher too...and maybe give her suggestions as to how it could be made more interesting, after consultations with your fellow students.

talldarkman

saltyfish said...

I just reckon that I can't be too bad yet because my students are free to quit anytime.. so I think I'll do without the feedback form for now. Btw, I think my company has something like that.

One of my classmates in Hindi class did complain and the class changed after that. Unfortunately, I liked it better - more demanding and challenging - the way it was before but she was getting really frustrated. And besides, this Thursday is the last class already, at least for this term...

North By North East said...

I think it entirely depends on what attracts you to the language, what you expect to gain or understand out of it. The Payoff.

If the effort fades against it, its worthwhile, always :)

saltyfish said...

I slightly disagree with you on that one. Hindi still attracts me but that wasnt the right concept for me. Another example: I really like Italian, it sounds just lovely to me, like music, so I tried (I really did) learning it with a CD-ROM course .. suffice to say that I'm still not far beyond "Hello, I would like ..." and "How do you say that in Italian?"...

North By North East said...

I think its the same point you're making.

Appears the 'romantic' idea of enjoying (speaking/listening to) Italian, wasnt worth the reality of the effort of learning a (yet another) language.

Same is with me and french. It appeals to me, and someday i would hope to. But i dont *need* to.

Most ppl learn languages out of a necessity, the payoff is more immideate, consiquential and tangible.

hence..

If the effort fades against it, its worthwhile, always :)
ie.
If theres no great payoff, prolly not worthwile.

saltyfish said...

yes, or somehow the effort has to be lessened, ie a different method has to be found .. or then: a necessity created.

North By North East said...

"necessity created" a bit paradoxical but prolly makes sense :p

saltyfish said...

:)

it's possible