Monday, May 18, 2009

ACHEMA 2009


The book fair, a music fair, an art and crafts fair, that's where you would expect to find me. But the ACHEMA? The 29th International Exhibition-Congress on Chemical Engineering, Environmental Protection and Biotechnology? Hmm...


Have I all of a sudden discovered my long dormant interest in natural sciences and engineering? Not really. But still, I went to that fair, feeling a little bit out of place from the beginning and earned quite a few looks - admiring, disapproving, plain curious - it's hard to say. The men-women ratio at the fair was about 9:1. And then I wasn't dressed like your typical congress attending business lady, in costume or pantsuit, nor like one of the few female students, in worn out jeans and T-shirts. So you can imagine that I stood out a little.

I walked through the endless corridors, from one moving walkway to the next, escalator up, escalator down, trying not to lose orientation until I reached Hall 9, the engineering hall. Because - and now we are coming to the purpose of my visit to ACHEMA - that's where the friend I was going to meet had his stall. I roamed around the stands at H21, hoping to see my friend. When I had surrounded the area twice without having seen him, but not without being watched intensely and with slight suspicion, I messaged him to learn that he would be back in 15 minutes.

What followed was a quarter of an hour well spent. I was strolling through the aisles, amazed by the passion and earnest all these people were displaying. Shocked by my own entire and complete ignorance, and deeply amused about slogans like "We bring plastic in shape" or for some sealing device "Nothing may come out". Not so funny now but on the spot, I really had to work on not bursting into laughter. So (not only because of this) I was relieved to finally see my friend..

I'm sure you read this, so I want to say thanks again, it was great meeting you, and you also provided me with an experience I normally wouldn't have had ;-)

11 comments:

talldarkman said...

*lol*....you should have laughed out loud at all the slogans.

Strange places you visit for sure. *rolling eyes smiley* Chemical Engineering....of all the places. And hope you did meet your friend. Who is he / she btw?

talldarkman

saltyfish said...

I didn't dare, don't know how badly these engineers would have taken it, seeing me laughing out loud ;-)

And I did meet my friend.. he is an avid reader of my blogs (so you might have seen his comments) and very nice, though a bit different from his online personality *batting eyelashes smiley*

Anonymous said...

hey TDM, you should be able to know this avid reader ..as you are the oldest reader. I am just wondering, who is this poor guy !

saltyfish said...

you are utterly rude today, Vish, calling tdm old and pitying the guy I met :|

Anonymous said...

wow, you like this guy more than i expected, i don't mind you calling me rude !

talldarkman said...

aaah...u have misinterpreted Vish...as i see it saltyfish...Vish said i am the "öldest reader"...meaning the a few of the first....Vish came in later.

Also Vish, there is a possibility that there is a reader, but he does not comment on the blog. btw....why do you pity the guy she met? Have you suffered some odd fate after meeting saltyfish? ;)

Who this guy is....is a mystery...perhaps saltyfish can throw some light on it.

talldarkman

Anonymous said...

Someone told me that, misinterpretation is a part of interpretation. So, never mind at this stage.

Hey TDM, I thought you are not Fishy Guy, but how come you have fishy questions to me..?
My answers are: I don't know why I pity that guy, it is just similar to , why someone don't know why they like Red or Blue .
If my fate were bad, I would never blame Saltyfish for that.

I do not think Saltyfish can dare enough to reveal the Mysterious person she knows or it could also be Saltyfish itself is a Mysterious...!

talldarkman said...

*lol*....ok Vish. Please take it in ur stride. None of us are serious out here, at least i am not.

please forgive me, if i have been the reason of any annoyance for you, in any which way. :)

talldarkman

Anonymous said...

Hey..Big man, no need for asking forgive or something else ..even I am not serious dude .

inserachofmuse said...

we bring plastic in shape too-
plastic thoughts, plastic comments, plastic lives.

btw salty fish did manage to meet the sultaan of brunei after 12 years of abstinence from skunk meat. Now this brunei guy is running a business of vaccum cleaners- boy he sure got everything messy-
more gossip anyone ?

Anonymous said...

Sound's FUNNY ..!