Wednesday, September 2, 2009

But seriously..


Serious question: Does alcohol in general taste bitter? Or vodka? Or cheap vodka?
Why I am asking? Because I made this Dooley's fake and when I had some on ice-cream last night, I found it having a slightly bitter aftertaste.

When we were kids (10, 11, 12ish), my cousin and I loved birthday parties at our grand-parents' as grandma would sometimes give us each one of those chocolate lined little wafercups, filled with heavily diluted advocaat. We loved that stuff. Another forbidden pleasure was orange slices dipped in the same liquor, let's not tell mum...

The funny thing is that when I was an adult and would have been allowed to that, I didn't feel like it at all. I had an unexplicable bad feeling and stayed away for some years. Now it has kind of normalised, I drink socially, like cocktails, don't mind wine.

Still an "eww, no thanks, can I have water instead please": coffee.

2 comments:

talldarkman said...

e forbidden fruit.......it's always desirable...;)...but once you have it...you lose all taste for it. :P

i have tried wines, vodka, rum et al...but somehow have never taken to it. i too...love just plain simple water.....that too...still.

talldarkman

inserachofmuse said...

In my childhood I used to have a kind of sugar cane juice with a flavour of mint in it. An old man sold it near the only cineman hall in my town - dont' know why whenever I see bottled drinks, I can smell into that stainless steel glass of frothy greenish-yellow juice