Sunday, March 24, 2013

Delhi

Before this trip, well, even before my last (or first) one, everybody had tried to scare me about Delhi: "Even Mumbai girls don't go there alone", "rape capital of the country" (which is sadly true as we all know now), "Dress and behave sensibly", "Don't go out alone". They succeeded in making me completely paranoid, to the point that I barely dared stepping out of the hotel on my own. But since M. was gone off with her friend and K. still didn't show any sign of appearance, I decided that I was not going to waste the afternoon in my hotel room, packed up (sensibly dressed), left the hotel and started walking. After about 100 metres, an elderly auto driver caught up to me and told me that if I kept walking in that direction, everything would be closed, the day being a Sunday and that the market was the other way. He offered to drive me around, wait for me while I shopped however long it would take (I wanted to shop? Oh ok, if he said so.) and all that for just 20 rupees. "You'll be like my daughter." 

Why the heck not, I thought, entered the auto (btw, whenever I say "auto", I refer to an auto rickshaw, also known as "tuk-tuk") and told him that first of all, I needed a pharmacy (followers of my facebook album will remember the vicious mosquito attack at my person) and some water. After that, I replied to his repeated question to what I was interested in "jewellery" and he took me to a jeweller's shop of his (def not my) choice. After wriggling/talking my way out of there, I told that driver that it's more costume jewellery what I had in mind, not super fancy precious stone stuff. So he took me to a silver jewellery store in some side street next where I bought the loveliest set of connected bangles for myself and a little silver Ganesha for M.

After that, back to the hotel, some more communication with K. who was gonna be more delayed, then M. came back full of stories and adventures and we got ready to meet her friend Sa. at the hotel. And sitting there with the two of them, chatting, eating, drinking - that's when it hit me: I had arrived. I was happy. I had my India back. That too in Delhi of all places!

Eventually, K. showed up too, we had a good time walking the streets of Delhi and just sitting in a rooftop café chatting until work reclaimed him. Oh well, better luck next time.

And that was about it for Delhi - not as bad as expected, possibly interesting enough to visit again (locally accompanied of course) and ready to leave for Mathura with R. the next morning.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

I love this!!! It's tough, being sensible yet no succumbing to fear. Have fun, be safe, and something Ganesha for me please ;) xo namaste

Anonymous said...

perhaps next time janpath and also delhi haat : )