Sunday, October 26, 2008

Magnetic Poetry

A few weeks ago, at a party, we were playing Magnetic Poetry. For those who don't know it: that's a box full of random words and letters on magnet strips that should enable you to write little poems. Or in our case phrases, as surreal as it gets. Examples? I am your pie in the sky ... Glass voices melt fever down ... and my personal favourite: Wet felines have an air of porcelain velvet about them.

So after playing this game, no one can tell me that the famous musicians of the '60s,'70s and '80s didn't use Magnetic Poetry to compose their songs!
Be realistic - how else do you explain The Beatles' Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond or the famous line of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, Open Up Your Fruitcage?

I picture it like this: The band members sitting in a circle on the floor, a joint circulating, half-full glasses of red wine next to them, a few candles lit... All heads are bent over a box of Magnetic Poetry in their middle and suddenly one of them calls out: "Guys, guys, look at this!!"

The rest is (music) history...

3 comments:

saltyfish said...

Flash, if you read this: how did you come across my blog?

talldarkman said...

*lol*....now tirami, you know i am poetically challenged. But.....do these sentences make any meaning at all? :P Most people are...err at least i am....tuned to make sentences that make some sense (except when i am on chat sites...;) ).

However, let me contribute a few (may not be in the same league as those composed by you professionals):

1. Smile, it improves your face value
2. I was born a genius, education ruined me
3. I trained the newcomers for my job, and was fired
4. I bought a bank yesterday.....to put my coins in. (obviously the reference is to piggybank :P )
5. People living in glasshouses do not pelt stones at others.

ok, I need to stop here, or else, my comment will be longer than tirami's post. *worried smiley*

talldarknman

Flash said...

hehe, if thats the way they write poems, nodoubt they are "Great Poets " . In my leisure time I will also try to pen a few "poems",eventhoguh I dont have any such contraption.I wud rather depend on my online dictionary, instead .

I strongly believe that you wont delete my comments for not disclosing ,how I got this link.